Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Honesty

How honest should a person be with friends, with strangers and on the internet? 

I have kept a private journal for about 20 years now.  There is nothing spectacular about it. It's just a place where I can put down my thoughts. After putting them down I rarely read them again but just the act of writing my thoughts out and seeing them in black and white helps me know where I am at in my life.  Most of the time if I am struggling with a question it is worked out when I post an entry to my journal.
Blogging kind of gives the same kind of feeling that journaling does.  I have to keep reminding myself that this is the internet and there are a lot of loonies out there that might take personal information and try to use it against you somehow. My mind does not work like that.  I don't understand people who do that kind of stuff.  I know that "what goes around, comes around" so I don't wish that on anyone.

I used to be a very open and honest person with the people that were in my life but I find that is not a prudent thing to do.  Most people are judgemental and when they see a weakness in a person's life they treat you like a leper. So I am learning how to be honest and wise.  What does the Bible say?  "Be wise as a serpent and as gentle as a dove."  The scripture applies to more than what I want to talk about right now. It's talking about how to approach people.  There is another scripture where it says that Jesus did not put all his trust in man because He knew the "nature" of man.  If Jesus would not put all his faith and trust in people I sure am not going to do that either. So I guess with that being said I am just not as open with people as I used to be.

Someone told me once that I wore my "heart on my sleeve."  I don't think I fully understand what that means.  I think it has to do with "openess" and "vulnerability."  I spent the first 15 years of my adult life being "open" and "vulnerable".  Then my illness hit me and I was totally closed off to all people, even my closest friends.  That lasted about 10 years.  I have come a long ways and I am not ashamed of my illness anymore but I find it's not "prudent" (there's that word again) to share my illness with everyone I know.  But here I am on the internet talking about it.  I guess it's easier because I cannot see you face to face and you cannot see me either.  I could post a picture of myself and you may be able to read part of who and what I am but still there is a lot you would not know. I am ready to be "vulnerable" again but I don't think I wear my heart on my sleeve anymore.

I have not completely answered the question to "how honest should a person be...?"  I will leave that up to yourself.  Of course, it's different for every person. I would love to hear your comments.  Please feel free to post one. I would love to know your thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment